Monday, May 6, 2013

The Lies That Bind


 

My husband and I settled on a home in January. We knew prior to occupying the house we would have some work done throughout and we would take up residence after the dust settled. Within days of settling, my contractor moved in a crew who began to remove walls, cut new door openings, remove doors, replace doors, paint, remove wallpaper, restore the deck, remodel a bathroom, and on and on, and on. You get the picture. It was a bustling beehive of activity and dust and paint fumes.

Additionally, we had a HVAC contractor in to repair and replace items associated with the heating and air conditioning.  Finally, we had a closet installation company rework every closet including a bedroom we converted to a walk-in closet. So, now you really get the picture.

Fortunately, we were renting another house and had the flexibility to delay our move into the new home. Our closet folks put us in touch with a fellow who works in window treatments. He came very highly recommended.

So let me point out here, my contractor and my closet installation folks have done two other houses for me. I have used them over and over and referred them many times over knowing that they are reliable, reasonable and trustworthy. In some instances the work was contracted on a hand shake, keys changing hands and little to no follow up or need to check in on the project until the job has been completed.

So, when “window man” was recommended, I was quite happy. He came to the house and seemed quite nice and was very helpful in answering questions on a variety of issues regarding my windows and window treatments. We accepted his offer to mill and install plantation shutters on 22 windows.

We explained that we did not want the shutters installed until all of the spackle dust had settled. We had a push out date of 30 days. Well those days came and went and we began to call for an update with no return call, just message after message. Not to worry, I had not put down a deposit on the ‘handshake’. He was very quick to point out no money was due until the install was completed and his website states the same.

Finally, out of the blue I got an email on March 6thHi Judi - Hope all is well. Just checking in for an update on your settlement date and possibly an install date for installation of your shutters”. WTF? When we met him, we had settled and he knew it because he walked through the ongoing renovations. Did he think we would have started that mess without settling, much less the previous owner agreeing? So, I emailed back and there it was again, crickets…no return…and then in the middle of April, the 19th of April to be exact I got this, just returned from being on travel and I'm waiting for the ship date confirmation. I should have that today.. My apologies”.

About a week later he called me to ask me how much I loved him as a contractor because the milling company dropped a palate of shutters and ruined them and wait for it…they were mine.

So he promised they would be re-milled and we’d have them in two weeks because they were now a rush-order. Yawn, heard it all before, “Sure baby, I’ll love you in the morning.” EW and I gave him the two weeks to make good and of course the entire time, no returned calls. I called from a different number and voila he answered…LOL…I was starting to feel like a stalking girlfriend…he gave some BS answer but assured me they were on the way.

Two days later I had EW call him and the poop started to flow again: the milling company went out of business and left him high and dry he was too embarrassed to call, he was waiting to find another source, on and on and on…it was wasted words because I’d already set an appointment to have another firm estimate the job.

After all of his boo-hooing about how he’d been worked over by the milling company, EW sent this email:

I understand that the milling and production of our shade order will begin on Monday. Please send us a detailed plan, per our phone conversation on Wednesday, on the production schedule and projected dates that the manufacturer will install our shutters. Please confirm, as part of your follow-up email, that the original price quoted by you will remain the same. My email address is and Judi’s email. EW

To which he responded:

Good morning Chuck
Again, thank you for your extreme patience and for giving me the opportunity to work through this horrific situation. First, let me assure you that the price will indeed remain the same . Two, the Hunter Douglas shutters, although the original shutters were of good quality, are the pinnacle of the industry. I will have a better understanding on Monday as to the projected ship date and possibly installation date as well.

Today is Monday, May 6th. The Monday he is referring too. And you guessed…no follow up. No problem. I hired a new company this morning which brings me full circle to the lies that bind.

The gentleman I hired this morning is terrific. His name is Steve, I found him on the internet, he is local, and he does his own milling out of Waldorf Maryland. He had no idea I’d worked with anyone else. I explained the remodel was now complete and no dust would spoil the shutters. I pointed out that we were working on the yard outside the house, so it was time for the shutters since the inside was completed.

We were enjoying coffee in my kitchen and Steve mentioned the reputation of his company and how there are some bad dealers in the area, one in particular. He went on to say that he used to do the milling and install for a local guy. He pointed out he had to part ways because when he would go to the install there would be miss measures, incorrect products and a mad homeowner because the project was six months overdue. He said the contractor would always use excuses that the fax must not have gone through and would tell his clients it was a milling problem. My guy Steve from this morning chuckled and said, “How is it his is the only faxes we never received?” and shook his head ruefully. I looked at him and asked if he would tell me who it was and he didn’t want too but I begged and well imagine that…it was the boob we’d been dealing with. So, I poured more coffee and explained what we had been dealing with and it all added up.

I accepted the offer from Steve, and he was within a few dollars of the original order. I made some changes that resulted in a bit more, but again, negligible. Our order will be here in five to six weeks and somehow, I believe it will be.

We do not intend to call the other guy. It will be interesting to see if he follows up and what the shaggy dog story will be then. I am glad EW will be able to tell him we have moved on and can then drop the name of the company we moved on too.

BTW…the boob is an Angie’s list contractor. I’m curious how he remains in good standing on there. I don’t care; he is not my guy anymore. Like a bad prom date, I have tossed him out for a better man.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment