Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I Have a Resolution!


A New Year's resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a project or the reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous. The name comes from the fact that these commitments normally go into effect on New Year's Day. A few of Dictionary.com ‘s definitions are: to come to a definite or earnest decision about; determine (to do something), or come to a determination; make up one's mind; determine (often fol. by on or upon): to resolve on a plan of action.

So here it is the sixth of January and I have yet to add any resolutions to a list. I have seen friends year after year make a resolution to lose weight. They join a gym and attack the equipment on a very regular basis as if they can burn off the weight and tone up years of laziness in a few short weeks. I can tell you that I have been running and training since July 2009 and it is a constant battle to get the training and practice runs completed. My weight still fluctuates and I have stopped obsessing about it. I should resolve to go to the gym more often, but I go several times a week (ok, not over the holidays) so should I resolve to go more often? Such a quandary for me. I don’t plan to add weight loss to a list. Running and gym activities keep the scale fluctuating based on the amount of each. Besides, I have seen friends loses the same 10 pounds over and over again and I can raise my hand and attest that I too have the same revolving door of 10 pounds.

I can resolve to do things that I do already to make it look like I have done something remarkable. I can resolve to travel more, drink good wine, eat good food attend the Kennedy Center and run half-marathons on a regular basis, only buy clothes on sale, tell my friends and family that I love them, and spoil my cats.

Perhaps that is a shallow list. Perhaps I should add volunteering and social activism to a list and participate in neighborhood steering events. Perhaps I should go back to church regularly. Perhaps I’ll take up painting. After all, last year I started the blog and am continuing to chip away at my book. They were on a “too do” list but I’d not resolved to actively start them at any particular point in time. Life just fell into place and the discussions about the “Conversations” became a reality.

I suppose my question is: Do folks really make resolutions they can embrace and continue beyond Valentine’s Day? I’ve never asked anyone what he or she resolves to do and I don’t believe anyone has told me they have resolved to do anything differently. I do know that one favorite resolution of some of my friends is made every New Year Day and it is to drink less the next New Year’s Eve Party. I have probably made that resolution a time or two.

So it boils down to a plan of action. That sounds so overwhelming already. I have a house to sell. It was a plan of action last year and may become a plan of action again this spring. I’ve not been aggressive in selling it. I leave a sign out front, talk to prospective buyers and agents off and on. I’ve not accepted any offers, but there have been no reasonable offers.  Perhaps this year’s plan is to be more reasonable.

And now I am stumped again. What to resolve? I am sure some friends will offer up suggestions, but the point is, they have to be my resolutions. Am I comfortable or complacent?  Such a conundrum! I might just be bored. Regardless, it is a state of vagueness that is at time unsettling and other times comforting because I don’t have to make a decision. I suppose I will just sit here a spell and cogitate the list that should be made, could be made, and won’t be made. There, I’ve made a decision.

Best Wishes for a bright and Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment